What Is A Heating Pad?
A pad used to warm parts of body to manage pain is called heating pad. It is one of the best source to get relief from backache and sore neck and to reduce muscles spasm, to relax muscles, tendons and ligaments.
How Does Heating Pad Work?
Heating pad contains heat which opens up blood vessels. This allows blood and oxygen to flow easily to the pain area, reducing and curing pain. It also relaxes muscles.
Types Of Heating Pads
- High Specific-Heat Capacity Materials’ Pads
A container is filled with a material with high specific heat capacity. It releases heat gradually with time. Most common example is hot water bottle.
- Electrical Heating Pads.
They operate using household current. They have protection against overheating.
- Chemical Heating Pads
Chemical pads are disposable and can be used once only. They use one time exothermic chemical reaction.
- Phase Change Material pad
These pads are used for fixed temperature. They use phenomenon of heat fusion to release thermal energy.
Pains In Pregnancy
In your pregnancy, it is very likely that you feel pain in your back, hips or joints. You may also experience muscles cramps when your uterus expands, which causes the supporting muscles and ligaments to stretch. Sometimes it becomes difficult to move, sneeze or cough with these pains, especially when your pregnancy progresses. Since you cannot take too many pain killer medicines during pregnancy, so you may be looking for alternative ways to get rid of these pains and feel comfortable.
So Can You Use Heating Pads During Your Pregnancy?
A good option of getting relief from pregnancy pain in pelvis or back is by using heating pads. Use heating pads on the affected part of the body. It will not increase your whole-body temperature, so you don’t have to worry about that. Heating pads are considered safe therapy to reduce pain during pregnancy.
Home Made Heating Pad For Use In Pregnancy
You can make your own heating pad using following method.
- Take two towels, wet them with water and squeeze them.
- Take a Ziploc bag. Put one towel in it; keep the bag open. Put the bag in microwave oven and heat for two minutes on high temperature.
- Take the bag out of the oven. Seal it and wrap a second wet towel around it.
- Your homemade heating pad is ready. Use it to get relief from pain. It will provide you heat for about 20 minutes.
Precautions In Using Heating Pads During Pregnancy
- Do not use for more than 20 minutes at one time.
- Wrap heating device in some towel and then use it. Avoid directly applying on skin.
- Use lowest setting of temperature, if it is provided with the device.
- Do not use it on your belly.
- Do not sleep with the heating device.
- Consult your doctor if you have spotting, bleeding, fever, chills or vaginal discharge.
- Try treating minor body pain by soaking in a light warm bath or changing your position.
If you see the article : Can I Use A Heating Pad While Pregnant? is helpful please comment below .