First off, don’t worry if you experience kidney pain during pregnancy. Pain in most areas of your body is common during pregnancy and don’t distressed over it. You’re doing just fine, and then there’s that darned back pain. Since the kidneys located around that general area, you might be mildly alarmed. But you need not worry at all.
If you can follow the doctor’s instructions closely, then you should be doing very well. However, it’s always a good idea to read up more on the subject and learn about how your kidneys and urinary tract function during pregnancy. More often you have an overlap with the two. Here we will talk about the kinds of kidney pains, their causes and a few tips on how you can avoid these pains. Let’s break them down for you.
Kinds of kidney pains
- Kidney stones: During pregnancy, many women reported to have right kidney pain. Kidney stones might cause this. With the extra intake of calcium, the kidneys might not be able to function effectively. It happens because calcium deposits increase in the kidney and resulting in the formation of stones in kidneys. May you shall have to take ureteroscopy under medical advice and don’t get afraid because it is considered absolutely safe even during pregnancy.
You can avoid kidney stones by drinking lots of water on a daily basis, eating the right foods and avoiding certain foods that are mentioned further down in this article. Whatever the symptoms, there are always solutions for it.
- Kidney infection: If you experience right kidney pain or left kidney pain, one of the reasons could be an infection in any one of the kidneys. When it’s a milder infection, it can be treated easily with proper medication. Kidney infection can avoid by drinking a lot of water regularly by getting regular medical checkups.
The good news is that any diseases are treatable. If you are worried about prescription medicine, you have nothing to fret about it. Medical sciences have come far enough and offering treatments for pregnant women with antibiotics that are absolutely safe to consume.
- Urinary tract infection: Another reason for kidney pain can be urinary tract infection (UTI). When you ignore an infection without treatment for a long time, it affects the kidneys as well. It creates pain in the area. UTI can cause during pregnancy because of change in position of the urinary tract. The uterus places itself on top of the bladder and effects urine passing as it grows.
Urinary tract infections are quite common among pregnant women, and there is nothing to worry about it if you can get the right treatment on time. Just remember to visit your doctor, if you continue to have back, tickling or bugging pain on your rear kidney area.
Read more : Things To Note When Pregnant Women Take A Bath
Kidney pain symptoms while pregnant
During pregnancy you are more focused towards your general health and any sign of discomfort or pain may lead to stress. The best way to get any little trouble out of the way is to read and learn its symptoms right away and get the necessary treatment from your doctor.
Some of the most common symptoms of kidney problems are lower back pain, fever, and chills, pain, and discomfort during urinating, traces of blood in the urine among others. Mild pains are normal, but when it becomes difficult to deal with kidney pain, it’s best to consult your doctor.
As mentioned earlier, urinary tract infection can also lead to kidney problems; you may see signs of it while urinating. During pregnancy, the body goes through many physical and hormonal changes. With the uterus growing, it may block the path of the urine in the urinary tract, which leads to infections. It may create discomfort and pain for many women.
How to relieve kidney pain while pregnant?
We can find many natural methods to avoid or get relieve from kidney pains. The following are very effective ways, to prevent or reduce kidney pain if you can practice religiously.
Water: Make drinking lots of water a part of your daily routine. Water not only keeps you well hydrated, but it will also dilute your urine. By having water, heavy minerals will not concentrate in your urinary tract. Drinking at least two liters of water will also avoid small kidney stones develop and wash it away.
Lemon juice: Another easy and effective way to keep kidney pain away is to drink lemon juice. Every once in a while, drinking lemon juice will breakdown small and moderate sized kidney stones easily. Lemons have natural properties that help you deal with kidney pain effectively.
Basil: Basil leaves have excellent pain-reducing properties, which makes it a great herb to have in your kitchen. You can add it to your salads or make juice with the leaves along with honey and consume it every other day. Basil also helps reduce uric acid levels in the blood and helps break down any small kidney stones and get rid of kidney pain.
Fruits and vegetables: Consumption of fruits is also an excellent way to stay hydrated and deal with kidney pain during pregnancy. Fruits are an excellent way to get your vitamins too. Watermelon, pomegranate, and berries are great. Even vegetables like asparagus and cucumber are good for you during pregnancy since it helps fight any kidney infections.
If you ever think about how to relieve kidney pain while pregnant, simply follow these tips.
What you should avoid
To prevent any kidney and urinary tract infections you must avoid the foods mentioned below:
- Coffee and tea
- Processed food
- High potassium food
- High sodium food
- Raw and cured meats
- Aerated sugary drinks
- Food with MSG
- Canned foods
The above-referred foods may trigger urinary tract infections that might make it difficult for you to get rid of kidney pain that you do not want during pregnancy.
- Don’t hold back urine: Since you will be drinking a lot of water, the urge to urinate will be more frequent. During such times, simply relieve yourself whenever required.
- Hygiene in toilets is important: In the comfort of your own home, you can keep your bathroom and toilet spotless. But in public spaces, you have little control. That’s why it is important to wipe down toilet seats before and after using it. Don’t squat awkwardly to avoid sitting on the toilet. You may hurt your knees or your back. Instead, carry enough tissues in your bag.
- Cleanliness is crucial: After bathrooms and toilets, you shouldn’t forget about your private parts and their hygiene. Once you use the washroom, make sure you clean your private parts with a mild soap. In doing so, you can avoid bacterial infection effectively.
Read more : Can I Exfoliate My Face While Pregnant ?
Be it left kidney pain or right kidney pain; you won’t have control over every single aspect of your body during pregnancy. The best thing you can do is to make a note of whatever pain you experience so that it will help to prevent bad kidney pain in the later days.
By avoiding kidney related problems, the chances of you coming across kidney pain during pregnancy is less likely. You should not overlook the kidney pain symptoms because you should know what exactly is causing those pains to get it treated at the right time by your doctor. All the above information are in academic, and should not be used to treat kidney alignments. In the event, if you face recurring rear side body pain with mild fever, you should consult a doctor and take proper medication.