Nail Polish And Its Ingredients
Nail polish originated in China in 3000 BC. It was also used in ancient Egypt, to signify class rankings of a person. Higher class used to paint their nails with red color and lower class with nude or light colors. In those days, the ingredients were bees wax, egg’s white, gelatin and vegetable dyes.
Now mostly nail polish is made up of film-forming material dissolved in volatile organic compounds. The common solvent is Nitrocellulose dissolved in butyl acetate or ethyl acetate.In nail varnish, chemicals formaldehyde and toluene are also present in small quantity.
It is used as a hardener in nail polish. This chemical is not very safe for health and breathing it in may cause irritation in your eyes, nose, throat and lungs. Exposure in high level of formaldehyde, for a long period may increase risk of cancer.
In nail polish, toluene is used for nail polish’s smooth glide on. It also causes irritation in throat, eyes and lungs. Over exposure may damage nervous system and cause birth defects in an unborn baby.
Nail Polish Remover
In nail polish remover, acetone is present. There is a small possibility of developmental defects of your baby due to over exposure to acetone for a long period of time.
So Can I Paint My Nails While Pregnant?
Effects Of Nail Painting On Your Baby
Using nail polish and nail polish remover in pregnancy is safe, if you use it with care. Painting your nails occasionally like once a week is fine, but it is harmful if you do it regularly. It is recommended to limit your exposure to paint and paint fumes while you are pregnant.
Exposing to toluene, which is present in nail polish or inhaling it at a high level may cause defects in your unborn baby.
Relate article : Can I Get A Tattoo While Pregnant ?
Use Of Nail Polish In Pregnancy.
Incidents of adverse effect on healthy pregnancy due to nail paintings, manicure and pedicure have not been reported. But a recent report of FDA says that their research indicates harmful effects of chemicals present in nail polish and nail polish remover. These chemicals can cause various health problems like rashes, skin irritation, contact dermatitis, poisoning etc.
Guideline For Nail Painting And Avoiding Harmful Effects.
- Use nail polish which is free from toluene and formaldehyde.
- If you are painting your nails with nail polish having formaldehyde and toluene, don’t do it more than once a week.
- If you are a nail technician, avoid nail painting job.
- Before putting on nail polish, open windows and doors of the room. Use a well-ventilated room.
- Apply only one coat. Avoid several different coats.
- Do not blow on your nails to dry nail polish, as this may cause you to breathe in fumes.
- Dry nail polish by stretching your arms away from your body.
- Buy acetone free nail polish removers.
- Wash your hands with water and soap after removing nail polish, to remove chemical residue.
With all these cares, you can paint your nails while pregnant.