Every woman wants to look beautiful. You want to feel good about yourself while pregnant. Perhaps you want to change the color of your hair to give yourself a new, fresh look pregnancy. Or maybe you have always wanted to dye your hair and are only now seriously thinking of doing so.
Then there are women who dye their hair regularly and want to keep doing so during pregnancy. In all these cases, you might be a little worried, as there is a common idea that pregnant women should not dye their hair. Here are the details about dyeing hair during pregnancy, which will help you to decide either way
Types Of Hair Dyes
- Off-scalp for hairs with blond highlights.
- On-scalp for a solid level of coverage.
- Temporary color.
- Alternative Color.
So Can I Color My Hair While Pregnant?
Dyeing Hair During Pregnancy
Limited research has been done on the subject of pregnancy and hair dyes. Researches show that it is safe to color your hair during pregnancy. Semi-permanent dyes and highlights do not have ammonia, so they are better to use as compared to permanent hair dye.
Hair dyes are chemical substance, but very little of these dyes are actually absorbed into the skin, so they do not cause any threat to your baby.
Results of one study on dyeing hair during pregnancy showed that it could cause the unborn baby to develop a rare childhood cancer known as neuroblastoma. But other studies done on the subject did not support this finding, and thus it is not yet validated.
Relate article : Can I Take Sudafed While Pregnant ?
National Health Services (NHS) Guidance About Hair Dyeing During Pregnancy
NHS guidance says that chemicals present in semi-permanent and permanent hair dyes, including ones which have bleaching agents, are not highly toxic, and can thus be used safely
How Many Times Can You Color Your Hair While Pregnant
There is a slight possibility that a few chemical compounds present in hair dyes could cause birth defects, if you use them in high quantity. However, you can safely dye your hair three to four times during your pregnancy.
Precautions To Take In Coloring Hair During Pregnancy
If you want to color your hair during pregnancy, you are advised to adopt following precautions.
- Try to avoid hair coloring in first trimester of your pregnancy. Wait until second trimester so that the critical stage of development is completed.
- Use a hair color which is based on natural products and is 100% Ammonia free.
- It is best if you do not dye your hair entirely
- Go for a process like highlighting, streaking, frosting or painting.
- If you want to do the dyeing yourself, wear gloves
- Color your hairs in a well-ventilated room to minimize exposure to volatile chemicals present in hair color.
- Do not leave dye on your scalp for a long time.
- Rinse your scalp thoroughly after completing the process of dyeing.
- Avoid using hair dye which causes skin irritation and allergy.
- Henna which is a natural herbal powder can also be used for hair coloring, to prevent dandruff and as a conditioner.
Tell us your thoughts about : Can I Color My Hair While Pregnant?